The mission for which Sacred Transitions Midwifery Institute, LLC, was organized is to operate a school to provide enrolled individuals with affordable access to quality midwifery education that reflects the diverse needs and preferences of the women who seek midwifery care in their own communities. To achieve this goal, the school is invested in program objectives which prepare midwives to be skilled in the following:
- Academic knowledge and skills consistent with the Midwives Model of Care as expressed in the standards outlined by the Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA), the North American Registry of Midwives (NARM) and the International Confederation of Midwives (ICM);
- Clinical education in the apprenticeship model within a student's own community or aspired community;
- Critical thinking that is socially conscious, involved and firmly set in a historical framework that advocates for pregnant women's human rights as the decider of their own birth choices through informed consent and refusal;
- Ethical decision making and peacemaking within a setting of community practice that honors, values and cherishes the varied gifts, talents and personalities that each unique midwife presents to consumers;
- Humility, excellence and gratitude in passing midwifery knowledge on to the next generation of midwives through an understanding of the three-fold purpose of all midwives: student, caretaker and teacher.